If you were to look it up, the chances are every day is a national, international or awareness day of some kind. Some are serious, the intention to make us think – such as World Diabetes Day on the 14th Nov 2019. Others are just fun and often a little bit whacky such as national wear your pj’s to work day (It’s on the 16th April if you’re interested!)
With over 1,000 of these days and months, plus bank holidays and religious holidays, your calendar is jam packed, you could have a theme for each day!
In recent times, lots of companies have jumped on some of these national days and used them for their own marketing, and it proves to be a great way to add some personality to your brand image.
Depending on your business and industry, you can host marketing promotions and events for certain days that are relevant to you. For example, if you have an optical business, National Glaucoma Week could be your opportunity to run an event to educate your customers on the effects and causes of Glaucoma. Run a bakery? Then National Donut Day may be the one for you!
There are, of course, more well-known holidays that most businesses will use, like Christmas Day. Utilising the lesser-known holidays are a good way to stand out, though. Why?
– On a national day that is smaller and more unique, you won’t be trumped by huge corporations with an unlimited marketing budget
– The quirkier days can put a smile on your customers faces or brighten up their day, this can put you in a positive place in their minds
How can you use national days in your marketing?
– Create some interesting and relevant content for your blog or website
– Share this content on your social media – remember to alter the content to suit your platform though!
– Don’t forget to use the official and unofficial hashtags which are being used around the day’s theme so that you join in with the conversation
– Add a special sale or offer that relates to the national day – this will entice people to purchase
– Hold an event with a theme for the national day. If it’s a fun and quirky day, then maybe you could hold more of a party style event, if it’s a serious awareness day, then you could hold an educational event
To save you the time in hunting out all the relevant national days that you could jump on board with for your marketing, we’ve put together a handy document for our clients. Not every national day is on there, we’d have to publish a book for that, just some that we think are handy to know. Download the pdf, print it out and stick it up in your workplace, then you’ll know when there’s a date coming up that’s worth shouting about.